Thursday 4 December 2014

What GCSE options to choose?

Hi! If this is the first time you've visited my blog, start by clicking here
*********************************************************************************
Choosing your GCSE options can seem to be quite a daunting thing to do, the trick is, make yourself as informed as possible before you make any decision...and that's where hopefully I can be of assistance. 

Now it was about 7 years ago that I was in your position. I remember being completely confused about what to actually choose (although I already knew that science would be a very, very bad idea), but what I did know was that when I'm older I wanted to study a law degree....


Yep, having your heart set on a degree to be studied in 4 years time seems like a great idea at the time, but let me pass on some very wise words that have been spoken to me at various stages of my educational career

                               "Keep as many doors open to you as possible, for as long as possible"













That's right. Sure you may have your heart set on being a lawyer, but just remember, thoughts change, and that's not a bad thing. 

But if you really want to know which subjects to choose that will give you the best foundations to pursue a legal education, these would be my

1) History
          2) Geography
                  3) A foreign language


Why those three? Well, basically they will begin to develop some extremely key skills that you will need. History and Geography are fairly similar with this regard. Both will require you to be able to analyse information and present it in a clear manner. You will be doing a lot of essay writing for the years to come, so it won't hurt to have as much experience now to prepare you.


You may have cringed when you read that I recommend a foreign language GCSE, but there is a very good reason why. Law firms are becoming more and more international. Practically all of the major law firms in the UK have overseas offices and any law firm is going to show more interest in you if you can say you speak (even basic) German, French, Spanish, Mandarin etc etc. I can't recall any application I made that didn't ask me a question about my additional language skills. 


By having a foreign language under your belt (even if it stops at GCSE level), you will be able to demonstrate the ability to learn a new language. There really aren't a lot of people who can say that, and it's always easier to learn something like that at a young age than it is to try pick one up in later life. 

Let me throw a spanner in the works.....

So, please do take on board what I've written above, but bare this in mind. Without good GCSE grades, you may struggle to get to your favourite college to study A-levels/IB. I know that for me to stay on at my school I needed to get Bs in the subjects I wanted to take. Always play to your strengths and avoid your weaknesses. If you know that doing History could be a very bad idea, but instead, say, choosing Electronics would pretty much guarantee you a higher grade, go for Electronics. 

And really, that brings me back to how I started this post. Always choose what YOU want to do. Not what you are made to think you should do, or what your friends are all doing, or what your parents say you should do. The same goes for the guidance I've provided above....it is exactly that....only a guide. 

If you're really stuck and want someone else's opinion, send me your questions and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. No question is a stupid question no matter how much you think it is. You have some very important decisions to make and need to get them right!

*********************************************************************************
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION? JUST COMMENT BELOW AND I WILL ANSWER IT HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment